I will be writing about this in the July issue of News & Notes, but in the meantime, I encourage you to download the Merlin Bird ID app to your phone. It is a free app and identifies the birds that are singing near you and shows a picture of that bird as well. It's amazing!
Just this morning, in a very few minutes outdoors, the app picked up sounds of American goldfinches, Carolina wrens, Carolina chickadees, indigo buntings, red-bellied woodpeckers, bluejays, tufted titmice, American crows, and fish crows. Many of those bird songs I already recognized, but until this morning I never knew the difference in sounds for American crows and fish crows! And I am constantly surprised by the many songs of Carolina wrens.
The app also allows you to take a photo of a bird for identification. Because I have limited data, I'm not keeping a list of birds and songs on my phone, but if data use is not an issue you might want to add even more information on your birding adventures.
And of course, I heard my rooster too this morning, but being a domestic bird, the Merlin ID app did not recognize him.
Happy listening!
Comments
Post a Comment